20/21 Vision: Speculating in Literature and Film in Canada is an international online conference based at the University of Saskatchewan August 16-22, 2021 (postponed from an in-person gathering planned for 2020 because of the pandemic). The conference will gather together scholars, authors, and members of the public who are interested in speculative writing in Canada.
In the wake of a global pandemic, it has become acutely evident that speculative fiction and film comment not just on the future but also on the present. Conference participants will present their research on speculations in published writings, as well as in films, television/internet series, and video games. There will also be space at the conference for writers of speculative genres to present their work to the public. Through these means, the conference aims to strengthen the presence of diverse voices and emerging literary communities.
Following the conference, there will be a call for contributors to submit papers that expand on or respond to conference presentations and discussions, for publication in an essay collection. Featured in that collection will be an interview with the conference’s keynote practitioners of speculative writing.
Registration for the conference and for individual events with featured speakers is free.
Conference Organizing Committee
Conference co-chairs: Wendy Roy and Mabiana Camargo
Organizing committee members: Joanne Leow, Jeanette Lynes, Jessica McDonald, Kathleen James-Cavan, and Shakti Brazier-Tompkins, with assistance from Carleigh Brady, Kevin Flynn, and jake moore
Graduate student support: Megan Solberg and Sarah Regier
- Connection Program, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada
- Indigenous Fellowship Program, College of Arts and Science, University of Saskatchewan
- Research, Scholarly and Artistic Work Fund, College of Arts and Science, University of Saskatchewan
- University Conference Fund, University of Saskatchewan
- Role Model Speaker’s Fund, College of Arts and Science, University of Saskatchewan
- Department of English, University of Saskatchewan
- Department of Art and Art History, University of Saskatchewan
- Department of Drama, University of Saskatchewan
- Department of Indigenous Studies, University of Saskatchewan
With in-kind support from the Department of English and the College of Arts and Science IT and Communications offices.